Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Version of the Chalkboard

Over the Summer I made chalkboards for each of my boys rooms. For several months they sat mostly unused in a corner of their rooms. That is until I actually hung them on the wall this past weekend.

These were soooo easy to make and pretty cheap too. Since hanging them, both boys have used them at least once a day. Be warned though, once you use chalkboard paint, you will be looking for any and everything in your house that you can paint. I know I've done it.

Before you look at the picture let me just tell you something. I have not painted Boy #2's room yet. Since we've only been here a year I've worked on other things first. Boy #1 has one wall painted in his room, which was actually the room the boy's shared when we first moved in, but that only lasted a month or so. Anywho, long story to say boy#2's room is still builder beige.



This is the chalkboard paint I used. I'm a little lazy and so I like the spray can version, but I understand they do have it in the kind you actually paint on. Just follow the directions on the back of the can. You can paint over anything, paper plastic, metal, just follow the can directions.

For the frame I used an old poster frame I had laying around. I actually had two of these. You know the frames I'm talking about right? The ones that you used to hang your Dirty Dancing poster in or you New Kids on the Block poster in. Yeah, I was into both of those things. So sad about Patrick Swayze and the New Kids whom are Older Kids now have recently ended a year tour after being apart for like ever. Totally. Anyway just get one of those frames.

I ruffed up the plastic surfuce with a little sandpaper first and then I just painted onto the plastic front. I put on several coats. It dries pretty fast. One of my frames is plastic the other was an ugly wood color, so I just spray painted it black.

Presto!
Two chalk boards for two little boys, or girls or yourself, whatever.




I used some picture hanging device that I can't remember the name of right now for the little bucket to hold the chalk. However, you could use a cup hanger, it would work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails